You all may have watched fictional teleportation movies like:
- The adjustment bureau
- Back to future
- Star trek beyond
- The prestige and many more!!
But this is not about movies. The thing is that these are all fictional movies, teleportation has been a total theoretical concept but it’s very interesting for at least the people who want to travel places fast without any limit like me!!
So here is a brief introduction to teleportation and how it works, also what science is doing about it which is very much interesting!!
Teleportation or teletransportation is the theoretical transfer of matter or energy from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them. It is a universal subject in science fiction literature, film, video games, and television.
Some scientists believe it is not possible to teleport macroscopic objects such as human beings, but there may be teleportation in the microscopic world.
Three possible kinds of teleportation in quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics:
- State teleportation: A quantum state of a particle could be teleported to another distant particle, but the two particles do not move at all. This is called state teleportation. There is a lot of following theoretical and experimental papers published.
Researchers believe that quantum teleportation is the foundation of quantum calculation and quantum communication.
- Energy teleportation: It may be possible to teleport energy by exploiting quantum energy fluctuations of an entangled vacuum state of a quantum field. There are some papers published but no experimental verification.
- Particle teleportation: particles themselves could teleport from one place to another. This is called particle teleportation.
Superconductivity can be viewed as the teleportation of some electrons in the superconductor and superfluidity as the teleportation of some of the atoms in the cellular tube. Physicists are trying to verify this concept experimentally.
is the person on Mars the same person as the person who entered the teletransporter on Earth?
- It is also known as a duplicate paradox.
- It is a thought experiment of teleportation which was published in a book Reasons and Persons of Derek parfit’s.
- Readers are asked to imagine that they are put into a machine that puts you to sleep, then destroys you, breaking you down into atoms, copying the information and relaying it to Mars at the speed of light. On Mars, another machine re-creates you (from local stores of carbon, hydrogen, and so on), each atom in exactly the same relative position. Parfit poses the question of whether or not the teletransporter is a method of travel—is the person on Mars the same person as the person who entered the teletransporter on Earth? Then the teleported is upgraded. The teletransporter on Earth is modified to not destroy the person who enters it, but instead, it can simply make infinite replicas, all of whom would claim to remember entering the teletransporter on Earth in the first place.
How it works:
- Suppose you have three particles and you entangle them
- Photon A: the photon to be teleported.
- Photon B: the transporting photon
- Photon C: the photon that is entangled with photon B.
By entangling photons B and C, researchers can extract some information about photon A, and the remaining information would pass on to B by way of entanglement, and then on to photon C. When researchers apply the information from photon A to photon C, they create an exact replica of photon A. However, photon A no longer exists as it did before the information was sent to photon C.
- Actual teleportation of human beings is not possible till now, but at the microscopic level, it is possible scientists have done some successful teleportation experiments
- In 2002, researchers at the Australian National University successfully teleported a laser beam
- In 2006, a team at Denmark’s Niels Bohr Institute teleported information stored in a laser beam into a cloud of atoms about 1.6 feet (half a meter) away.
- In 2012, researchers at the University of Science and Technology of China made a new teleportation record. They teleported a photon 60.3 miles (97 kilometers), 50.3 miles (81 kilometers) farther than the previous record.
- In 2014, European physicists were able to teleport quantum information through an ordinary optical fiber used for telecommunications.
Stories [Source: wiki]:
- 1593 transported soldier legend: A folk legend holds that in October 1593 a soldier of the Spanish Empire (named Gil Pérez in a 1908 version) was mysteriously transported from Manila in the Philippines to the Plaza Mayor in Mexico City. The soldier’s claim to have come from the Philippines was disbelieved by the Mexicans until his account of the assassination of Gómez Pérez Dasmariñas was corroborated months later by the passengers of a ship which had crossed the Pacific Ocean with the news. Folklorist Thomas Allibone Janvier in 1908 described the legend as “current among all classes of the population of the City of Mexico”.Twentieth-century paranormal investigators giving credence to the story have offered teleportation and alien abductions explanations
- Philadelphia Experiment: The Philadelphia Experiment is an alleged military experiment supposed to have been carried out by the S. Navy at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania sometime around October 28, 1943. The story first appeared in 1955, in letters of unknown origin sent to a writer and astronomer, Morris K. Jessup. It is widely understood to be a hoax; the U.S. Navy maintains that no such experiment was ever conducted, that the alleged details of the story contradict well-established facts about USS Eldridge, and that the claims do not conform to known physical laws.
- Quantum State: a state of a quantized system which is described by a set of quantum numbers.
- Teleport Energy or Quantum Energy Teleportation: Quantum teleportation is a process by which quantum information (e.g. the exact state of an atom or photon) can be transmitted from one location to another, with the help of classical communication and previously shared quantum entanglement between the sending and receiving location. Because it depends on classical communication, which can proceed no faster than the speed of light, it cannot be used for faster-than-light transport or communication of classical bits. While it has proven possible to teleport one or more qubits of information between two (entangled) atoms, this has not yet been achieved between molecules or anything larger.
- Superfluidity: Superfluidity is the characteristic property of a fluid with zero viscosity which therefore flows without loss of kinetic energy.